Every year billions of dollars are spent by consumers online; and as the trend is growing rapidly, shopping security is still the number one factor in which a person may choose not to buy from a website.
This is particularly true if you are new to the internet or starting to buy online for the first time.
Shopping security has always been a touchy subject and is so important that most reliable companies go to a great deal of trouble to protect their customers’ rights, privacy and security.
So can people feel safe when shopping online?
The answer to this is yes if shoppers follow simple guidelines. If you are new to the Internet or a regular shopper online, the following guidelines should apply.
- Find out the cost of delivery before placing your order and how long the delivery will take. Most shopping sites use couriers to deliver the goods and when delivering overseas can become quite expensive.
- If you are bidding on E-bay check out the buyers and sellers feedback. This should become standard before you ever place a bid.
- Always read the FAQ section if you are new to the site.
- If someone demands cash for a payment, ‘say no‘. Use your credit card to make your payment; this will protect you against fraud. Credit card companies refund accounts where fraudulent activity transpires.
- Check the buyers’ contact page. Make sure their postal address is posted on it. If not, don’t deal with them.
- Don’t be afraid to ask the seller lots of questions, genuine sellers should be very helpful, some online shopping sites have forms where you can see customer feedback.
- If you are unsure about a site, try doing a search on Google or any of the other search engines. You may find comments posted on the shopping site from other customers.
- If you are still not sure after reading the above it may be time to go shopping elsewhere.
These simple guidelines should also apply when buying online.
If you do make the occasional bid in one of the many online auction sites, the same safety guidelines should become standard. Part of the appeal of buying or bidding online is that you tap into the global markets at a click of your finger. Buying through auction sites on the web can be very exciting and for most people enjoy, but remember they can also be very addictive.
Most of the well-known auction sites are based in the United States, so overseas bidders should follow proper, but simple guidelines when placing their bids.
We should not shy away from the worthwhile experience of online shopping. Shopping online can bring you great savings, and will also take away the burden of going shopping.